Lavant is a rural parish with an electorate of approximately 1347 in 750 households and at present a precept of £27,420. The parish is just north of Chichester on either side of the A286 Midhurst Road.
Further details about the village can be found in the Lavant Neighbourhood Plan
The community is a vibrant one served well by its pubs, restaurants, schools, churches and village hall. The closeness of Goodwood adds to the activities in the parish.
Lavant is to be found in a beautiful part of West Sussex and yet is within easy reach of major urban centres on the coast from Brighton to Southampton. The close proximity of Chichester means access to both mainline trains and buses with direct links to Gatwick Airport and London, Brighton and Portsmouth and also across country to the West, the Midlands and the North.
Parishioners can, of course, use the varied commercial, leisure and entertainment facilities of Chichester with ease. The coast is also very close at Bosham and the Chichester Harbour area, the Witterings, Selsey and Bognor Regis.
Goodwood Festival of Speed
Road Closures and Speed restrictions
New Road, Kennel Hill, Strettington Lane, Claypit Lane, Pook Lane & Lower Road
Goodwood Festival of Speed
From 29th June until 10th July 2019
The restriction will be effective
24hrs a day from 29/06/2019 at 00:01 until 10/07/2019 at 12:00
Daily between 06:00-21:00 from 04/07/2019 to 07/07/2019
Pedestrian, residential and emergency access will be maintained
The application is currently being processed and you will be advised further when details are confirmed
NOTICE OF PARISH COUNCIL ELECTIONS
Statement of Persons Nominated - Click here
Statement of UNCONTESTED election - Click here
2 MAY 2019
NOTICE OF DISTRICT COUNCIL ELECTIONS
NOTICE OF ELECTION
CHICHESTER DISTRICT COUNCIL
2 MAY 2019
To see the Notices of Election please go to "Your Parish Council" tab and select "council documents".
15/04/2019 - New Ways to contact Police when NOT an emergency
A New Way To Report Crimes And Information Across Sussex
Police Forces across England & Wales are using a new system called Single Online Home (SOH). This is a policing portal which allows the public to easily report crimes, incidents and information online.
The police non-emergency phone number 101 remains available if personal contact is required. However, using SOH significantly reduces wait times for those reporting crimes or incidents, or if you simply wish to provide some information to the police. Reporting online via SOH is easy and effective. It has been positively endorsed by a number of Neighbourhood Watch members who have had the opportunity to use it.
The new portal can be found on the home page of the recently updated Sussex Police website www.sussex.police.uk. In addition to the Report area, here you will find a new box "Tell us about …". There is a drop down from which you can select, for example, "Something you've seen or heard".
We have given you this information as we know that some people are rightly cautious about clicking on links in E-mails. However, there are some shortcut links available as below, which we have tested for you.
If reporting a crime or incident which has occurred in Sussex, SOH is available directly via https://sussex.police.uk/contact-us/report-online/. You can scroll further down that page to see other options.
If reporting a crime or incident which has occurred outside of Sussex, SOH is available via https://report.police.uk.
If it's something that you've seen or heard the link is https://www.sussex.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/soh/something-youve-seen-or-heard/.
SOH should not be used for an emergency - dialling 999 remains the means of contact if there is danger to a person or if a crime is being committed.
All reports submitted via SOH will receive an immediate acknowledgement message. Reports are reviewed in live time, and within 48 hours Sussex Police will provide a personal response from a named staff member.
Neighbourhood Watch members are encouraged to use SOH when required and importantly, to promote and support its use amongst the communities we support through our NHW schemes. Co-ordinators are encouraged to pass on this information to their members, and of course to other members of the public.
15/04/2019 - Westhampnet Waste and Recycling Centre - News after fire
Following the fire at the waste and recycling centre the site will remain closed for a few more days reopening on 18th April but for green waste only.
Please find below an update on operational service delivery following the fire at Westhampnett….
Operational Service Delivery - District & Borough Collections
· All recycling and residual waste kerbside collections have not been affected by the fire.
· Alternative arrangements continue to be in place for Chichester District Council and Arun District Council to deposit collected materials.
Operational Service Delivery - Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS)
· The Westhampnett HWRS will open for residents to dispose of their green waste only, from Thursday 18th April 2019.
· The Westhampnett site will be open 7 days a week from 9am-6pm.
· Residents are still advised to avoid visiting a HWRS. Should residents need to visit a site to dispose of other materials, they are advised to visit Bognor or Littlehampton HWRSs to dispose of other materials. Bognor and Littlehampton will remain open for 7 days a weeks until further notice. Please note these sites do NOT accept trailers or over-height vehicles (2.2m height restriction). Also, these sites do NOT accept plasterboard or asbestos.
· The nearest trailer and over-height facility is Worthing HWRS or an alternative HWRS which accepts trailers is Billingshurst HWRS.
· The alternate weekly (Thursday) service at the Witterings and Selsey is available and this service will accept trailers with the relevant permit.
· HWRSs that accept asbestos are Burgess Hill, Crawley and Worthing.
· HWRSs that accept plasterboard are Billingshurst, Burgess Hill, Crawley, Horsham, Shoreham and Worthing.
Damage Assessment & Recovery of Services
· The area where green waste is deposited has been unaffected by the fire, enabling Viridor to re-open this part of the site from Thursday 18th April 2019.
· Until the extent of the damage is known on the transfer station and the concrete surround, we do not know which other parts of the site have been affected, and will therefore require works.
· Once this is known, we will work with Viridor to develop both a long-term plan for rebuilding / developing the site; and shorter-term contingency arrangements that will enable us to expand the materials that can be accepted at the site. It is anticipated that a wider offering of materials could be made available during May 2019.
To find out more click here
Lavant's Out & About Day - Sunday 28th April
From 10am until 3pm on Sunday 28th April, Lavant Parish Council will be hosting Lavant's Out & About Day on the Village Green
There will be lots of Fun Bike Races and a Best Dressed Bike Competition for the kids, lots of information about how to get out and about walking in the Lavant area and wider SDNPA. Bikeability, Whizz Bikes, and Lavant Football Club will be there. So will CDC to tell us all about their projects to help keep our local environment beautiful. We will have information about the new Lavant Speedwatch team and recent work by our brilliant Lavant Volunteers as well as an update on the future of Churchmead Playground.
There will be refreshments all day - but if it's a nice day, why not bring a picnic? Get Out & About with all the family - come and join in the fun!
20/03/2019 - St Nicholas Church - New Proposals - Come and have your say!
The new proposals for St Nicholas Church will be on display at St Nick's on the following days and times. Please come and see and have your say! Papers will be available for you to write your comments. The Rector David Jarratt will be on hand to answer any questions.
Monday 1st April from 9 - 12 noon
Wednesday 3rd April from 9 - 12 noon and 7 - 9pm
Saturday 6th April from 9.30am to 12 noon
The proposals will also be presented at the Lavant Parish Council meeting of 9th April at 7pm in St Mary's church Lavant Room.
Click on an image to zoom