15th Apr 2019 - Westhampnet Waste and Recycling Centre - News after fire
Following the fire at the waste and recycling centre the site will remain closed for a few more days reopening on 18th April but for green waste only.
Please find below an update on operational service delivery following the fire at Westhampnett….
Operational Service Delivery - District & Borough Collections
· All recycling and residual waste kerbside collections have not been affected by the fire.
· Alternative arrangements continue to be in place for Chichester District Council and Arun District Council to deposit collected materials.
Operational Service Delivery - Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS)
· The Westhampnett HWRS will open for residents to dispose of their green waste only, from Thursday 18th April 2019.
· The Westhampnett site will be open 7 days a week from 9am-6pm.
· Residents are still advised to avoid visiting a HWRS. Should residents need to visit a site to dispose of other materials, they are advised to visit Bognor or Littlehampton HWRSs to dispose of other materials. Bognor and Littlehampton will remain open for 7 days a weeks until further notice. Please note these sites do NOT accept trailers or over-height vehicles (2.2m height restriction). Also, these sites do NOT accept plasterboard or asbestos.
· The nearest trailer and over-height facility is Worthing HWRS or an alternative HWRS which accepts trailers is Billingshurst HWRS.
· The alternate weekly (Thursday) service at the Witterings and Selsey is available and this service will accept trailers with the relevant permit.
· HWRSs that accept asbestos are Burgess Hill, Crawley and Worthing.
· HWRSs that accept plasterboard are Billingshurst, Burgess Hill, Crawley, Horsham, Shoreham and Worthing.
Damage Assessment & Recovery of Services
· The area where green waste is deposited has been unaffected by the fire, enabling Viridor to re-open this part of the site from Thursday 18th April 2019.
· Until the extent of the damage is known on the transfer station and the concrete surround, we do not know which other parts of the site have been affected, and will therefore require works.
· Once this is known, we will work with Viridor to develop both a long-term plan for rebuilding / developing the site; and shorter-term contingency arrangements that will enable us to expand the materials that can be accepted at the site. It is anticipated that a wider offering of materials could be made available during May 2019.
To find out more click here